Monday, July 9, 2007

Feeling Strong

This morning I rolled out of bed on time and walked into the gym as scheduled, but I just couldn't do it.  I had a hard time falling asleep last night due to anxiety over the upcoming work week.  There is a problem at work that was rolling around in my head and just wouldn't let me relax.

Rather than push myself when I didn't feel ready, I went into work and got started on my overtime early instead of lifting.  Channeling the remaining anxiety into my work was enough to make a big difference.  By the end of the day I'd resolved most of my outstanding issues and a solution to my biggest problem at work was clear.  Now it's a matter of acting on it, but with a plan, that's the easy part.

About 4pm I caffinated myself up in preparation for a lower workout when I got home.  By 6:45 I was in the gym and wired to go.  Between the thunderstorm, my insight over the issue at work, and the caffeine, I felt unstoppable.  I did the following:

Kettlebell Squats: 5xBW, 12k, 16k, 24k, 16k's, 20k's, 20k's, 20k's, 16k's
Romanian Deadlifts: 5x95, 135, 185, 205, 205, 205, 185
V-bar (between sets): 1/1x90, 100, 115 (stopped here, too humid, not worth a skin tear)
Turkish Get Ups: 2x3/3x12k
Bending: Easy Timber Tie, FailxGrade 5 Bolt, Failx7" x 1/4 hex, 2x7" x 1/4 round
Titan's Telegraph: Worked up to sets of 5 with 25lbs two handed
Grippers: some sets of 3 with the #1 and BBSA

That's it.  I felt like I could do more on the squats and deads, but opted to leave some in the tank for next time.  V-bar had no hope of happening today.  It was 100% humidity with the rain.  My t-shirt was soaked by the time I got inside.  Bending is doing ok, I'm not feeling confident on the Grade 5 bolt at Michigan.  Today was the first time I tried one.  No kink at all.

The remainder of this week I will follow this schedule.  I need to learn how to relax fully when lifting hard this close to bed, but I think I can get the same amount of work done in fewer hours this way.  My body is prepared to push hard physically at 7am, so blowing through my work is easy.  It also seems mental exhaustion when I get home does not preclude a good workout.  Not only that, since I wasn't physically exhausted when eating breakfast and making my lunch, I ended up with better food choices through the whole course of the day.

Regarding exercise progression, I do not plan to go heavier than the 20k's on my kettlebell squats or 205 on the Romanian deadlifts for some time.  At a minimum, I'm going to wait until I hit a bodyweight of 189, which is my next big milestone weight after 200.  I'm also going to define some criteria around the turkish getups and overhead pressing that will be met first.   I need to improve the stability and strength in my shoulders before holding even more weight during my lower workouts.

Overall, I am happy with the end result of today.  Time to stretch and then it's off to bed.