Sunday, January 6, 2008

Paying Dues and More Updates

Friday evening I was out late, leaving me too tired on Saturday to do my workout. Saturday I spent resting, the high point was selling my 45 degree back extension to make space. Saturday night I slept 12 hours, making me well rested but groggy on Sunday. The workout I got in went like this:

90 seconds rest between sets:

Goblet Squats - 5 x BW, 16k, 24k, 32k, 1x40k
Kettlebell Squats - 5 x 16k's, 16k's, 16k's, 16k's
Romanian Deadlifts - 5 x 135, 165, 165, 165, 165
Turkish Get Ups - 1/1 x 16k, 20k, 20k
Renegade Rows - 5/5 x 16k, 20k, 20k, 20k
One Arm Press - 5/5 x 16k; 4x20k, 3x20k, 3x20k
Axle Chins - 2
Grippers - Couple reps per hand on Trainer, #1, and Super Advanced

As the goblet squats indicate, my 40k kettlebell came from Perform Better. It is much closer in style to the Dragon Door kettlebells than the Power Max ones, with a short thinner handle that is attached close to the bell. It will meet my needs but sure does feel heavier than I remember the Power Max version being.

The chins got cut short because condensation from the rapid temperature change in Chicago (2 degrees on Thursday, over 50 degrees today) made the bar too slippery. The temperature fluctuations may ultimately rust my equipment, but there is nothing economical I can do about it. Given that the entire cost of my home gym is under $2500 and rust is still heavy, the best thing is to ignore it.

I need to get my frequency up to 3 times per week if any real progress is to result from this program. I will try to lift again on Tuesday morning. Stretching needs to happen on my off days as well. progress is still ongoing. This weekend I:

1. Got the C# conversion is down to a single remaining admin page
2. Cleaned up the mess left by my navigation revisions over vacation
3. Processed all of my videos to be ready for upload

In the next few days I should get the videos up. I have opted to provide a link beneath each entry with video that opens a new window with an embedded video object and some google ads. Since IE security sometimes blocks applets like this, the page will offer the video for download as well.

My original plan was to direct link to the videos from my primary pages, but my initial foray has resulted in 147megs distributed over 34 videos. I hesitate to offer that much content ad free in a format that is easy to hot link or download multiple times on accident. I would also prefer to offer a page on the website that can be easily linked to for reference.

There is a flaw in my plan, which is that all videos are in WMV format. I briefly looked into converting them to flash for better cross-browser compatibility, but the trade offs do not appear worth the effort. It seems as though users on Apple or Linux OS's have options for playing WMV, so I am going to take the format as good enough for now.