Sunday, January 20, 2008

Winter Workout

The thermometer read 1 degree this morning, up from a low of 0.1 degrees – definitely less than ideal conditions for my garage workout. I considered dragging the weights into the basement, but decided to just make due. The workout went like this:


90 Seconds per Set:


Goblet Squats: 5 x BW, 16, 24, 32k
Kettlebell Squats: 5 x 16k's, 20k's, 20k's, 20k's
Romanian Deadlifts; 5 x 135, 185, 185, 185
Turkish Get Ups: 1/1 x 20k, 20k, 20k, 20k
Renegade Rows: 1/1x16K


At this point I had to stop. My muscles could have kept going, but I was gassed. The cold air may have contributed to this, but I think the rest period I have chosen is too short for strength training. I will increase my time per set by 15 seconds next workout.


After a few minutes of rest, I went inside and bent 4 pieces of 6"x3/16 round, a timber tie, and a piece of 7"x1/4 round. The last piece really let me know I was done. The gripper work I did Saturday evening my have contributed to my weak bending.


Overall training is going pretty well. I am stretching consistently and my calves feel much better, though not yet 100%. Body weight held steady in the 175-176 range last week, even with:


1. Steady consumption of free office cookies during the work day
2. Eating out on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday


It is time to dial my food in for the push to 165 on March 2nd. Given this week's results, all it will require is a reduction in eating out. I already finished the cookies .


I have decided to place an order for the Olympic bumper set. The only thing holding me back was the idea of spending $529 on weights. However, I have the money, the product is fairly priced, and I think about wanting it daily. I know the desire is somewhat irrational, but if the novelty wears off, I can recoup most or all of my expense by selling it locally.


Saturday I did a little work on gripfaq.com. I added a clear indication that the pictures can be enlarged. I also improved the way the site looks when it prints in IE. I still have problems with image alignment wrapping over two sheets of paper, but I am one step closer to having something that can dynamically generate a book.